ASTORIA — Clatsop County Master Gardeners presents “Winterizing Your Garden,” 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29, at Clatsop County Fairgrounds. Admission is free.
The schedule of events:
• 10 a.m. Small-plant sale: Master Gardeners can help you identify the right plants for your garden’s growing conditions.
• 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. “Fall Pruning and General Plant Health Care” with Austin Wienecke and Luke Colvin of Arbor Care NW. Home gardeners will learn what and when to prune, from big trees to shrubs. Disease and pest control, mulching and organic fertilizer will also be discussed. A Q-and-A will address individual home garden concerns.
• 1 p.m. “Gardening with Deer on the Coast”: Joanie Chapel, a certified Master Gardener, provides solutions for controlling the hungry deer dining on our gardens. What to plant and other methods for deterring deer will be the focus.
Also on offer:
• pH Soil Testing (all day). The proper soil pH level is important because it affects soil nutrient availability. Use this information to rebuild your soil over the winter. Bring 1 cup of garden soil in a plastic bag. Master Gardeners will test your soil and advise on remedies for proper pH levels.
• Dividing iris and daylilies: Learn the correct method for dividing daylilies and iris. This is best done in the fall. Irises and daylilies will be sold following the demo.
• Garden and home treasure sale: It’s always a surprise what Master Gardeners find in their sheds — gently used tools, pots, books, wood boxes, Halloween decorations and art.
• Silent auction: Chances are good you’ll win something wonderful while supporting Master Gardeners.
Proceeds from this event fund Clatsop County Master Gardeners Association projects.